Leech Lake, Muskoka

The publisher is not responsible for the opinions expressed, items published and those providing comments on this BLOG.

Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Bizarre Road Event

On December 28th we headed to Bracebridge to conduct some cottage business. Once the business was finished we headed to Leech Lake. We do not use our cottage in the winter so we wanted to see how the cottage roof was holding up given the large snow falls earlier in the month.We are located at 1068 Lakeshore RD S. We drove in past our cottage and used Carl Henze's driveway to turn around and head back toward our cottage. We arrived at the top of our driveway. I went down to have a brief look at the roof and when I came back there was a cream/gold coloured SUV/Crossover parked up the slope just at the bend in the road (The road bends around a rock and the power lines at that point.) I got in the car and wondered what to do as backing down to Henze's was a long distance.

The two folks in the vehicle opposite sat there not moving. I thought I should therefore initiate some action so I pulled over, actually getting my left tires in the snow bank. The folks in the Vehicle opposite started to come forward. When they got opposite they too got their wheels in the snow bank and were stuck. Fortuitously I had put a shovel in our vehicle. So I retrieved the shovel and proceeded to shovel a path for the stuck wheels. Still the folks in the vehicle opposite stoically watched as I shoveled. After a couple of attempts they were able extricate themselves from the snow bank. They then drove off without stopping and saying a word; not "thanks" or "how is your car".

Well now we are stuck and stuck big time. We have an "all wheel drive" vehicle but none of the wheels had solid traction. I had to dig through the road side snow bank to get traction for the back wheels. Just as I was making good progress, after about an hour, a fine couple, Rob and Deb, happened by and with Rob's brawn along with our son we were able extricate ourselves from the snowbank.

This was a bizarre incident in that we had no verbal communication with the folks opposite. It felt like we were in a sci-fi movie and this was an alien vehicle with expressionless aliens inside that could not open the windows or doors and get involved in our environment.

Alan Greenwood

3 Comments:

At 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amiable fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you for your information.

 
At 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I about the brief should prepare more info then it has.

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here reading this confused as to why this continues to happen. You stated that you are not a winter time user of your cottage, so I'm assuming you don't have your driveway cleared ??, maybe it's not possible to have it cleared, (I know mine certainly isn't)my question is why would you knowing full well that there is no where to park your vehicle drive down the road just to check your roof ??? Park your car at the turn-around and walk in, it's not far and it decreases the chances of vehicles trying to pass on a single lane road. As for the driver that did't stop or even acknowledge you, then ya I see your point there, but please people if your coming up for a few hours and know your driweway is full of snow then leave the car at the turn-around, it saves a lot of headache. Thanks for letting me rant.

Jason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home